I’m still working on this one, but I think I’ve made enough progress that I can show it off in its current state.
- December 2010
- May 2010
- March 2010
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- August 2008
- July 2008
- June 2008
- May 2008
- April 2008
First of all, I made it to ten posts! W00, I really wasn’t sure if I’d make it this far.
Recently at work, I had to write an AS3 image viewer with zoom and pan capabilities. It was a lot harder than I had anticipated. I decided to write another (much better) version for the blog. I’m hoping that by releasing this code I’m saving a couple people a lot of grief.
You can zoom in/out with the buttons in the bottom right corner, or by using your mouse wheel (Mouse wheel might not work on a Mac! Let me know if it’s an issue or if you have a solution).
After the break you can see the application in action.
I’ll also try to explain some of the ActionScript parts I found interesting.
Update May 27, 2008: Hey guys I just found a much better way of doing colour separation. The code below takes a very brute force approach. It seems the Flash engineers were one step ahead of me though. There’s a method called copyChannel() which essentially takes a selected colour channel from one bitmap and moves it into another. The below code is still a decent introduction to parsing through bitmaps and bitwise operators. It’s just not the efficient way to do this task.
After the Red tick failure this morning, I wanted to get right back into it and do something quick.
In this project I:
A) Load in an external image
B) Read in all of the image’s pixel values and split the data in to red, green, blue.
C) Feed the colour data into seperate layers
D) Animate ‘em!
I’ll go into the code after the break.
I stumbled upon this link while looking into bitwise operators:
It’s a great resource and I’d strongly suggest looking into it, especially if you’re not familiar with getting colour data out of hex numbers.
So first of all I’m not dead! I haven’t given up on blogging, experimentation or coding.
But I did run in a completely wrong direction with my latest experiment. This is actually a bit of an epic failure. It’s SUPER slow, doesn’t look great… meh.
But I did some cool stuff with colour transitions and the tentacles are kind of cool.
So check out the full post to see the working swf, my apologies if it’s really slow on your computer
No source this time guys, it’s just too much of a mess.
Ok, this was a totally accidental project. I was planning on doing a GSkinner style branching tree, and ended up with something kind of cooler.
Here’s an image from the app:
Click to see it in action
I’m especially happy with the seeded random code, it’s based off of the perlin noise function.
I’ll probably post the source code early next week. But right now it’s time for Team Fortress 2!
Just finished playing, so I can go ahead and post the source. This one is more messy than usual.
Click to Download Source
Ok, I came up with a slightly cooler version of the pixelizer that I posted posted a couple days ago.
This code is a little harder to follow. But on the bright side, I’ve added 3d Effects and BLUR! WOO!